2013-07-29

Wannabe VS. Ain't No Fun (If the Homies Can't Have None)

After my friend Adam made the genius observation that "Wannabe" might be a feminist take on "Ain't No Fun (If the Homies Can't Have None)", I have to pose the question - Which is the better "Okay, now you have to have sex with my friends" 90s song:

The Spice Girls's classic


or the song off Snoop Dogg's debut album?

I don't know how often the average person needs to express, "yeah, let's bone, but you better also put out for my besties," but in case it's a common sentiment in your life, at least you have two songs for the occasion.

The Spice Girls just put it out there: "If you wanna be my lover, you gotta get with my friends." They then proceed to explain how each of the Girls prefers to get freaky. In the end, it seems like more of a daunting task than a pleasurable one.

Meanwhile, Snoop Dogg and his crew take a different approach: "I know the pussy's mines, I'mma fuck a couple more times/And when I'm through with it, there's nothing else to do with it/Pass it to a homie, now you hit it/'Cause she ain't nothing but a bitch to me." These dudes are past the point of jealousy and concerns about "sloppy seconds."

It is interesting how "Wannabe" is considered as a sex-positive feminist anthem while Snoop Dogg's song just seems pretty chauvinistic and sleazy with the gender roles reversed. Then again, it might have something to do with the fact that Snoop's lyrics are significantly more graphic ("slaps you across your fat ass with a fat dick" and "starts juggling these motherfucking nuts in your mouth"). The Spice Girls leave a bit more to the imagination with "slam your body down and zigazig ahhh."

For all I know, zigazig ahh is code for testicle juggling, but at least I could play the song in front of my mother as a kid without being mortified, so I'm giving the edge to the Spice Girls.

Which do you prefer?

No comments: