2013-07-24

BASTILLE



I meant to post about the band BASTILLE on Bastille Day, because that seemed like a cute thing to do, but since we don't actually acknowledge Bastille Day in America, it came and went without me remembering. Now if it's been 10 days since Bastille Day, but I still want to write about the band anyway.

I first mentioned the band on this blog a couple of years ago, but I only recently heard their music on American radio for the first time. Even though they've already hit it big in the UK, I couldn't be more excited to have a band make a dent over here because I can't get enough of them. Please make them a thing here.

BASTILLE records solid indie/alternative music, though the real draw for me is the singer's voice. You know how singing generally erases any sign of an accent, and it's not until you hear a vocalist do an interview that you're like, "Ohmguh, I didn't even think about the fact that she's Australian (etc.)"? Well that is not the case with Dan Smith. When he sings, you can't possibly miss his thick, hot British accent. It adds unique character. I want to be able to sing like that.

"Pompeii" is their current single and I really enjoy it. It's nearly as good "Flaws" which you should also be crazy about. And if you're all in (and please be so we can go see them in concert when they come back to LA in September) treat your ears to "Overjoyed" and "Icarus" as well.

Even if you're not in the mood for new original music, then you at least have to give BASTILLE's amazing cover of "What Would You Do?" a chance. If you've never realized the genius of City High's Lament-of-a-Prostitute, maybe it's because you haven't heard it in a British accent yet.

 

No comments: