Kanye West has a song, "White Dress", on the new The Man with the Iron Fists soundtrack. At first I liked the tune, until I started paying attention to the lyrics. There's a lot of underlying sexism to "White Dress". It seems that Kanye thinks women are objects to be married (or, at the least, objects that want nothing more than to be married) and, I kid you not, raped. Here are the top 6 sexist lines from the song:
6. "Remember I used to do things that'd make you laugh/ Like orderin' a girl drink in a masculine glass."
What the hell is a masculine glass? Kanye's eccentric, though, so I can totally picture him demanding a cosmopolitan in a beer stein.
5. "We had problems, but it's all in the past/ Everybody got problems, baby, algebra class."
Is he making light of the female achievement gap at math? Just kidding, this line probably isn't sexist, but it does crack me up.
4. "You the type of girl that probably deserve a new last name."
Girl, you could to be a kept women. You're not like one of those women who should pretend to be happy being single. A man could totally validate your existence by marrying you. You should have the privilege of taking my name instead of your own. In fact, you deserve it!
3. "Plus I don't like none of her girlfriends/ Quote unquote, 'Cuz her girlfriends got girlfriends.'"
Listen, baby, you gotta get rid of those lesbian friends of yours. That just ain't right. It's not that I'm homophobic (I am), but they keep trying to tell you I'm no good. Even though I just admit a few lines prior that I've been lying and cheating, they're the ones to blame. I'm not sexist, I just hate all women because they hate all men.
2. "Even though I met you in a club in a tight dress/ At first sight, I could picture you in a white dress."
Yeah, you looked pretty slutty when we first met, but I still saw the potential to wife you up.
1. "Just a satin gown, you asleep with no makeup/ I'm just tryna be inside you 'fore you wake up."
That'd be really sweet, Kanye, were it not criminal. What you are describing is rape. She needs to be awake to consent, dingy.
I know this song is supposed to be romantic, like, "we should stay together because I could see myself maybe marrying you", but Kanye's chauvinism shines through. Reducing your lady friend to a bride and penetrating her while she's snoozing is - if nothing else - problematic. You know, like algebra class.