2010-08-25

AIDS Coloring Book

While looking through some childhood schoolwork from first and second grade, I found this nine-page AIDS coloring book. At first I couldn't figure out why they would try to teach such a heavy concept to someone who was still trying to figure out coloring inside the lines, but once I read it back, I couldn't figure out what they were trying to say at all!


The message I take away from this is "Wash your hands or you'll get AIDS!" At that age, the only thing kids know about AIDS is that you die when you get it, so why not scare these impressionable young minds into maintaining good hygeine by convincing them that AIDS is everywhere and as common as strep throat? There's a difference between making something age appropriate and spreading misinformation. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that my second grade class now has the highest rate of AIDS of any in the nation. "Did you bring any protection?" "Sure, I have a bar of soap."

Also, in spite of his tuxedo, Germfighter Gorilla looks like a pedophile, so I'd be wary of letting him teach kids his "special way" of washing hands. Might he be the "dirty" "pet" that requires you to "wash carefully" after "playing with"?

Either way, don't forget to scrub those hands after "toileting" (read: pooping) or you'll probably contract HIV.

No comments: