2008-10-28

My 2008 California Proposition Endorsements

On Sunday, Clare and Cecilia hosted another Proposition Party, a forum in which people can come and discuss California’s confusing ballot measures. More than 30 people attended, with each person first researching a proposition in depth and then presenting their findings to the group. Each presentation is subject to debate and questioning until we reach a decision. Consensuses are not always reached (though usually they are), but that’s not the point. The point is to know precisely what we’re voting for and getting to the heart of the issue, as the titles are often misleading.

Like last time, I feel way more informed and fairly confident in my choices. Bring on the ballot!

The following are Kevin Babbles’s Official California Proposition Endorsements:

High Speed Rail Bonds
Prop 1A: Yes
Environmentally friendly high-speed trains are the way of the future, and we’ve already invested millions into this project researching its feasibility. While the bonds will ultimately cost tax payers some money, much of it will be offset by commuters on this railway.

Standards for Confining Farm Animals
Prop 2: YES
The accommodations this proposition outlines for animals are few and reasonable and will only pass along minimal cost to consumers. The writers on this one seemed to stick to uncontroversial definitions of ethical and humane, so it can’t even be faulted as overly ambitious hippie bullsh.

Children’s Hospital Bond Act
Prop 3: No
On face value, it seems like it’d be hard to vote against saving sick children, but a few years ago, California approved the sale of bonds for nearly the exact same thing, and more than 40% of that money has still been unallocated. Let’s not sign ourselves up for more debt, at least not until the existing money is depleted.

Waiting Period and Parental Notification before Termination of Minor’s Pregnancy
Prop 4: No
This proposition is just another attempt to restrict reproductive rights in the face of Roe v. Wade. Proponents will have you believe that this is an issue of safety, but it most certainly will not protect the safety of pregnant teens.

Nonviolent Drug Offenses, Sentencing, Parole, and Rehabilitation
Prop 5: Yes
Since our prisons are thoroughly over-crowded, I support offering small time drug offenders the opportunity to attend rehab as part of a probationary punishment instead. Besides, addiction is an illness and jail is not the way to solve it.

Police and Law Enforcement Funding; Criminal Penalties and Laws
Prop 6: No
Punishments should fit the crime. This proposition attempts to lock up teenagers for years for infractions as small as graffiti. It is racist, classist, and unconstitutional.

Renewable Energy Generation
Prop 7: No
Every major environmental group is opposed to this plan, explaining that it would ultimately be more detrimental to our environment. It’s a shame, because I’m very concerned about the environment and am prepared to vote to spend every cent the state collects toward conservation, but I’m convinced that this is not the appropriate plan.

Eliminates Right of Same-Sex Couples to Marry
Prop 8: NO
I’ve already explained my stance on this one tirelessly in an earlier No on Prop 8 post. (The debate is still raging in the comments section, by the way.)

Criminal Justice System, Victims’ Rights, Parole
Prop 9: No
The majority of the positive aspects in this proposition are already part of state law. Evidently, it is okay to write existing laws into propositions, which then encourages unaware voters to pass them. California already has one of the best reputations for promoting victims’ rights and one of the lowest rates for offering parole. This proposition is expensive and unnecessary.

Alternative Fuel Vehicles and Renewable Energy
Prop 10: No
This is another environmentally based proposition that I want to like, but just can’t. Though natural gas is cleaner than most current sources of fuel, it is still a finite resource; we need to put our money into finding long-term solutions. Again, nearly all major environmental groups in the state oppose this proposition, so I’m going to say no and hope that next year, someone creates a good environmental proposition that I can be in favor of.

Redistricting
Prop 11: No?
This is the proposition I presented on at the party, but I still don’t have a strong opinion. Currently, politicians have the ability to draw redistricting lines. When this occurs, they can incorporate certain populations into their districts, nearly guaranteeing subsequent victories. For this reason alone, I am in favor of redistricting reform in order to keep elections fair and competitive. Unfortunately, the suggested alternative is a convoluted and still partisan committee. Nevertheless, I’m almost inclined to say yes to this one, just to change the existing structure and see if it works out better, but my fear is that by approving a new crappy system, we won’t have an opportunity to vote on a more reasonable redistricting reform proposition in the near future.

Veterans’ Bond Act
Prop 12: Yes
Veterans comprise about 1/3 of the homeless population in California. They need and deserve our love (ie: money.) Clearly, I have a softer spot for unsheltered veterans than terminally ill children. Love is blind, and I can’t help to whom I’m attracted.


My explanations are all frighteningly brief, but if anyone wants to hash these out further or debate their merits in the comments, I welcome the discussion. I’m prepared to give additional facts and reasons to support my decisions, or even have my mind changed before Election Day.

8 comments:

wendymb said...

You are wrong on your opinions on prop 8...and my children are old enough to understand homosexuality and how preverse and sick it is.

Kevin said...

Wendy,

On your own blog, you say you have a gay brother and best friend. Why are they not "old enough" to understand how "preverse (sic) and sick it is"?

Children tend to adopt the viewpoints of their parents, so it doesn't surprise me that they would feel the same way as you do.

What gets me is that on your own blog, you claim to "love" your brother and best friend. I don't see how you can claim that while calling them perverse. I personally don't maintain relationships with people I find to be perverse.

I think this is proof that for a lot of people, this declaration of a "pro-marriage" stance is meant to mask intolerance.

Else said...

Kevin

So I read your comment on my mom's blog about her needing to spend her time on better causes then Prop 8 and I find that fascinating since you obviously spend a lot of your time writing things against Prop 8. I spent nearly my whole lunch break reading your blog and the comments posted to it about Prop 8. Some of your commments are well thought out, as well as some of the people that think differently then you do. You are obviously a level-headed individual. But then you go on to some random person's website, my mom's in this case, and acuse her of wasting her time. She obviously thinks that supporting Prop 8 is of utmost important or she wouldn't be "wasting her time."

And what about you. You have 46 comments on your Prop 8 entry, you propbably spent a lot of your time reading those comments, and you probably spend a lot of your time looking up random people's blogs to comment in disagreement to Prop 8. You have your opinion and they have theirs and posting things on the World Wide Web is then up for comments from anyone. But don't go and critize another about wasting time for Prop 8 because I then could say the same about you wasting your time speaking out against Prop 8.

One last thought, I was very grateful that during your whole discusscion with Prop 8 you seem very gracious and would admit when someone had a valuable point even if it differed from you. This graciousness is sadly lacking on the side of opponents of Prop 8. I too have waved signs for Prop 8 and had some very vulgar and rude people yell things at me (like that is going to make me drop my sign and go "you're right, I will change my opinion and vote no now.") That seems to be the sadest thing about this controvery. People say, like you did on my mom's blog, "you are obviously entitled to your own convictions.." and yet try and belittle them or slam them because they are standing up for their convictions. We will obviously never agree on this issue as I can tell from reading your comments, but we can still be considerate of others views without calling them names, or telling them they are wasting their time.

Kevin said...

Else:

I think it's fair that we treat people how we want to be treated. Both sides of this argument have people who do not follow this code.

You are now accusing me of things I haven't done. I never used the phrase "wasting your time." I don't think political involvement is ever a waste of time. I did ask if there are "better causes to lend your time to" and I still feel that's a relevant point. Of all the things the Bible preaches, why do people fixate on the aspect of homosexuality? There are so many other causes that can be addressed. If the Bible asks you to love your neighbor, why push a political agenda that will at the very least hurt their feelings? Why not spend time helping people rather than promoting an exclusionary policy?

I view my time as worthwhile because I'm promoting equality for all people, just as I'd like to see the country. I understand that your mother probably feels the same about her perspective, but where in the Bible does it suggest that our hours should be spend marginalizing people rather than promoting the positive? That's the notion I want to convey and perhaps have people think about.

I thank you for your comment, too.

Anonymous said...

As it stands I only disagree on prop 3

But I do think 11 is a big no without the question mark. It's just another scheme to get more Republicans in office

Anonymous said...

Wow, wow, wow! I've just spent the past hour reading comment after comment, and debate after debate on the Prop 8 issue on your blog, and actually many other issues. And I found you, because you commented on "Out of Small and Simple Things" blog, a blog I happen to follow. I'm baffled by the amount of time you must spend at the computer. I only spent an hour or so reading your blog...I can only IMAGINE the amount of time you spend looking for ways to express your opposition towards people who have a different point of view than you. It's mind boggling. What else do you do with your life? If anyone should find "better causes to lend your time to", it is you. It is obvious, that you feed off of and thrive on "the debate". Plain and simple. I had a friend in high school, who sounds much like you. She thrived on debating everything. I mean, everything! She LOVED it! We had some pretty deep conversations...and many of them. Even if there was an issue she believed in, she loved to debate it, just for the sake of debating. As I've read through your blog, and spent time reading your responses to people, I can see that you are an amazingly intelligent person, extremely articulate, much like her. Wow. But I too, am disheartened, but not at the post that was made by Debi. I was disheartened by your comment to her. Curiosity got the best of me, and I linked to your blog, and found you. You come off as an extremely angry and bitter human being. Angry at organized religion. Angry at the people who choose to believe in a belief system opposite of yours. And the only way you seem to harness that anger and the energy that comes with it, is to feed off of the debate. It sure has been some great reading, I admit. But there is an underlying sadness to your blog. Maybe you ARE happy in your life, but your blog says differently. You seem only happy, when someone, like me, leaves a comment on your blog that gives you more material to debate and post on your blog.

So I hope you have a happy day today because here are my thoughts, and new material for you: Marriage between one man and one woman. I am completely for it, and will never support marriage between a man and a man, or a woman and a woman, or anything else other than that. I feel the way I do, because I do. My good friend is gay. I still adore him. NO one can tell me that I don't adore him, even though I don't agree with his sexual orientation. There is a difference between tolerance and acceptance. I can't accept his lifestyle as something that is morally right. But I am tolerant of him and his life style, just as he is of mine. And yes...it IS possible to be friends and not accept each other's beliefs.
Have a happy day, Kevin. It's been a fun evening reading your blog. Take care.

Kevin said...

Alex:

If you've got a pitch for switching to 3, I'm open to being swayed there. I want to want to help sick kids, really.

As for 11, I still consider myself more ethical than partisan. I'd rather do "the right thing" and make elections more fair than do what is better for a party. But I understand how that is a concern.


Anonymous:

Wow, wow, wow, indeed.

* I am guilty of spending too much time at the computer.

* I wouldn't characterize myself as a regular debater. I like to think I can hold my own and I do enjoy engaging in intelligent discourse, but I can honestly say I've never made an effort to undergo discussions like this on the internet on any subject in the past, but I genuinely do believe that the passage of Prop 8 is a regressive move for the state as it is actively disrupting the idea of equality for all.

* You can look back through 3 years of this blog, and you'll discover that this is the first real debate that has taken place here. Generally, I stick to personal anecdotes or trivial observations, but I reserve the right to babble about whatever is important to me. And pretty much no one ever comments (now being a rather notable exception), if that was what I was going for, I'd have quit years ago. This blog is mainly an excuse to keep me writing, which is a passion of mine in life.

* I'm sure there is underlying sadness and joy all over this blog. Life has its ups and downs, and my blog is an incomplete representation of that.

* You say you are offering new material, but all you say is "I feel the way I do, because I do." That's perhaps honest, but hardly an argument. How will I ever find happiness tonight unless you provide me with something concrete to contest?!

* I see through you. You act like you're being really nice and kind, but behind that language, you are attempting to belittle me. It's an (unsuccessful) personal attack, which I suppose you have to resort to given you have nothing concrete to offer to the debate at hand. The sentiments like "have a happy day" do not make you a pleasant person after speaking condescendingly. I wouldn't doubt that a friend you "tolerate" but do not "accept" picks up on the same fake attitude.

* Of course it is possible to be friends with people whose beliefs I don't share, if that weren't the case, I wouldn't have many friends. I think I'd actually get along well with a few of my "adversaries" in the other thread and would relish the opportunity to interact with them further - ideally mostly addressing topics of no political relevance. I think I'm going to pass on extending that offer to you, however.

Anonymous said...

I think anonymous spends too much time on the computer. Who spends a half an hour writing a comment on a stranger's blog?

Wow, wow, wow, anonymous. I think you need to take a basic course in rhetoric. "I have a gay best friend" apparently has replaced "Some of my best friends are black" as Americans' favorite logical fallacy. Having a friend doesn't excuse you from reason, critical thought, or compassion, hon.

I actually know Kevin, too. I may waste time on the computer, but at least I don't troll the internet making self-righteous comments on strangers' blogs.

You all make me embarrassed to be a Republican.