2008-02-21

may i feel said he

"may i feel said he"
e.e. cummings

may i feel said he
(i'll squeal said she
just once said he)
it's fun said she

(may i touch said he
how much said she
a lot said he)
why not said she

(let's go said he
not too far said she
what's too far said he
where you are said she)

may i stay said he
(which way said she
like this said he
if you kiss said she

may i move said he
is it love said she)
if you're willing said he
(but you're killing said she

but it's life said he
but your wife said she
now said he)
ow said she

(tiptop said he
don't stop said she
oh no said he)
go slow said she

(cccome?said he
ummm said she)
you're divine!said he
(you are Mine said she)


Apparently, there's more than one way to interpret this poem. I allowed my students to select a poem of their choice on which to write an analysis essay. For students with a limited background in poetry (read: nearly everyone), I gave suggestions of several famous poets including e.e. cummings. Before diving into the essay, I asked students to write an initial interpretation of their poem. The student who selected this poem decided that it was about a brother and sister fighting. During a peer review activity, a friend interpreted it as two people getting married. When a disagreement ensued, I was called over to give my opinion. I looked at what each of them wrote, then went about reading the poem myself.

I'm not sure how they arrived at the meanings that they did. Rather than mincing words, I just blurted out, "This is about sex." Normally, I'd be a little more delicate in these situations, but I didn't want to leave any room for alternate interpretations. The kids laughed, so I simply replied, "No really, it's about sex, there's nothing else to it." The kids eagerly began rereading the poem, laughing as they discovered a smuttier comprehension. Naturally, the poem then was passed around as if it were an issue of Playboy.

Isn't it funny how 9th graders will turn anything into a sex joke, and yet when sex (albeit oddly punctuated) stares them in the face, they don't even recognize it as such?

No comments: