2008-02-26

IgNORe This

Lately, I've been enamored with the word "nor." It has a certain flare that the word "or" lacks. Call me pessimistic, but phrasing words in the negative is just fun. If I could, I'd use the word "nor" every few minutes or so. That's not even a joke, it's an impulse that's been taking over me. I realize that feeling a necessity to use a particular word makes me a nerd. Still, it doesn't make me nearly the nerd that I am when I feel restricted by the confines of grammar. As good as "nor" feels pouring from my lips, I'm often too self-concious to say it, afraid that I'll breech the rules attached to "nor." You can't be willy-nilly loosy-goosy with "nor" like you can with the word "or." Admittedly, perhaps that's some of the appeal.

Grammar rules dictate that the word "nor" only follows the word "neither" (or at least an implied "neither") meaning that I can feel secure in my "nor" usage, so long as I'm preceding it with the word "neither." For this reason, I've been making a concerted effort to fill my speech with "neither."

These are real thoughts that consume my mind. It's not a joke, there will be no punchline to this post. I am the punchline. Goo goo g'joob. That said, I am neither the eggman nor the walrus. (Hells yeah.)

No comments: